
Sixty seven years ago today in a hospital in Archer City Texas a blue eyed nearly 11 pound hollering boy was born....me. Some allow I ain't quit hollering since...but that's a lie. I sleep damn near every night.
Last night I was reflecting on what I can remember of the past 67 years. Some memories not so good and a lot very good and some sorta kinda foggy...there were a some of those years when there were times I woke up not even remembering coming home...hell, no way I can remember what I did now. A quart a day habit will do that to a man. Those are the memories I would just as soon forget...no. Not forget...just lock in that dark closet in the back of my head to only be opened up when someone offers me a drink...they remind me of why I have been refusing since September of 1992 and why now I am actually living instead of existing.
Sometimes I think I have had three lives...maybe four. My years before I enlisted in the USAF; my years in the USAF; the years between retirement and when I kicked the habit; and these years since I became sober. I am proud to tell you that the years since I have been sober have been the happiest and most satisfying for me...and no doubt for sweetthing who loved me enough to stay with me during the USAF years and endured me during my quart a day years...I still don't know how.
I didn't sit down here this morning to make an AA testimony...hell, I didn't go to AA...too many old drunks there propping each other up...which I great I reckon if one needs propping up. I made the decision to quit and looked in to the mirror and dealt with the problems...see alcohol addiction ain't the problem..it is the symptom of a deep problem and unless that problem can be dealt with and controlled the chances of staying off the booze is slim...and even if one gets dry one cannot ever get sober...and there is a difference between dry and sober.
....................................................................................
Sweetthing and I are driving up to Bell Florida to visit some friends and maybe have lunch in a quaint little corner cafe in Bell...a bar-b-q place that also has as good a hamburger I have eaten outside of Texas. I have been promising to drive up for a month...they have a new 9MM pistol...and no ammo. I am gonna fix that problem for them
.....................................................................................
My e-mail is full of news briefs from the MSM...I don't think I'll read any of it today. I am in a pretty good mood. My blood sugar was reasonable this morning for a change and my blood pressure is a healthy 125/88...but will not be if I read the news. The jumpstart is good and strong and scalding hot...just the way I like it...softened up that piece of dry rye toast I dipped it it just fine. The nebulizer tasted like horse piss smells as usual but I am getting used to it I reckon...beats not breathing.
Daylight is just a few minutes away and I want to greet the sunrise on the back porch with my second mug of jumpstart...I want to give the creator my thanks for this life she gave me and the life around me...the flora and fauna on sweetthing's half acre but most of all sweetthing. Y'all come, heah?

0 Yorumlar