It's a sunny Sunday afternoon in Florida - temps in the mid 80s, a light breeze, and slightly lower humidity. We're taking a day off from the real estate frenzy of the past week... slept in this morning, went to the Farmer's Market for lunch, and spent a couple of hours reading this afternoon. I feel like a new woman!
Finished reading//
Mrs. Everything by Jennifer Weiner
This fast-paced novel explores the lives of two sisters from their 1950s childhood to the present. It was my first experience with prolific author Jennifer Weiner. I enjoyed the characters, their relationships, and feminist worldview... even as I shook my head at some of their choices. I laughed out loud a few times and cried at the end. My craving for a "good summer read" has been satisfied.
my rating: somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars (rounded up to 4 on goodreads)
Listening to//
Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, HER Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
by Lori Gottlieb
narrated by Brittany Pressley
I'm loving this audiobook. Even though I borrowed the ebook from the library (thought it would be good as a read/listen combo), I've yet to read a single page. The narration is so good! Lori's story and the stories of her patients are fascinating... I'll be sorry to reach the end of this book.
Nonfiction November//
It's almost time! Nonfiction November is my favorite blogging event of the year - five weeks, five topics, five hosts, and an Instagram photo challenge, too. All you need to know is here. Will you be participating?
In the kitchen//
For the first time in months, I've been inspired to try a couple of new recipes... nothing fancy, but it's good to feel like cooking again.
Vinegar Chicken With Crushed Olive Dressing was one of the New York Times featured recipes last week. It's cooked on a sheet pan, with a briny sauce made from the browned bits left behind. It was quite tasty, but would have been even easier if I'd though to purchase pitted olives! If you don't subscribe to the Times and would like the recipe, let me know. I'll copy and email it to you.
Slow Cooker Banana Nut Oatmeal from The Lemon Bowl has part of our regular breakfast rotation for a while, but yesterday I decided to change things up with Peanut Butter Banana Baked Oatmeal from two peas & their pod. I've noticed several baked oatmeal recipes lately, but this is the first one I've tried. It was very good (my daughter loved it) but a little heavier/more dense than I was expecting... probably due to the peanut butter. We'll be happy to eat the leftovers for a couple more mornings though!
The week ahead//
Real estate... we close on our NY home on Thursday. A little hard to believe, but the end of an era. We met with a contractor at what will soon be our new Florida home. We shared our ideas, he had some good suggestions, and we'll touch base again this week. Seems like it's all going to happen!
How was your week? What have you been reading?
The Sunday Salon is hosted by Deb at Readerbuzz.








0 Yorumlar